Fetish for FOOD!

09 August 2006

Spinach, leeks and brussel sprouts

My mum has an organic vege patch, and whenever I visit she lets me take home some of whatever is ready for the picking, along with a bag of onions or mandarines or other vege she has found at a good price... as long as she agreed to buy a 20kg bag! I love thinking about what will be in season this week at mums!

There really aren’t many foods I'm not fond of, spinach is one of them. It's rare for me to buy it, but is always readily available in mum's patch, and, as I can never pass up the opportunity to collect some freshly picked... anything, I let mum pick me a good size bunch.

It usually turn it into a quiche or some spinach/ricotta triangles for the freezer which are bought out for guests (as long as I can keep them from Neil!! or me he he!!).

Here’s a pic of my mum’s vege patch.

There's spinach, leeks, brussel sprouts, snow peas, capsicum, and broad beans. Tomatoes are in the seedling pots, getting ready for the 'big' garden.

You might be wondering why I don't have my own vege patch.... believe me I would if I could!!! We live in a duplex with a small grassed courtyard, which gets next to no sun (sorta need that hey??). We're hoping not to be here much longer, as the search for a house is on. YAY!!

Mum's brussel sprouts.

The snow peas, ready in Spring!! mmmmm

Leeks here. Potato and leek soup is one of my favourites. Neil's sister, Tory, recently cooked up a batch of potato and leek soup, leaving the veges in chunks. It was a refreshing change, and felt 'lighter' than my usual pureed version.

The spinach.

Here's to my mum and her vege patch!! Love ya mum! xxx

2 Comments:

  • Thanks... It's at the top of my list!!

    By Blogger magicwand, at 10:29 pm  

  • Yummo Tones! How cool to shop at mum's! ANd you be careful of Mr Fab .... he'll be stealing that stuff before you get there .... esp the fruit ...

    By Blogger Pamela J Weatherill, at 11:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home