Fetish for FOOD!

06 August 2006

Up for discussion...

I recently read somewhere that traditional lasagne does NOT have a béchamel or white sauce in it, it simply consists of a tomato based sauce, lasagne sheets and a bit of cheese on top. All the recipes I have found on the internet and in my books contain the white sauce, which is apparently the English version of this Italian dish. I would love to hear from someone who knows anything about this! Also what is the traditional cheese to use on top?

2 Comments:

  • Hi Miss W, how's things. Just thought Id offer my knowledge about Lasagna and what i was taught in College. I have always been told that lasagna traditionally (Italiano)is made with layers of fresh pasta sheets, the traditional bolognaise/tomato sauce and mix of ricotta and fresh basil.The English have adapted this receipe by putting bechemal sauce in place of the ricotta as the ricotta is quite strong tasting. As the seasonal traveller that I am , I did not experience any bechemel sauce on any lasagna I consumed while in Rome. Hope this helps miss. ALWAYS top the lasagne off with a mix of fresh parmesan and mozzarella, cant go wrong :) Happy cooking, can you send me some when you have cooked some, Im so sick of Scottish deep fried food! YUK!
    love from Bradles

    By Blogger Brad, at 11:26 pm  

  • Thanks heaps Brad... I forgot you were a chef in a previous life! there are SO many recipes out there, and I'm hell bent on finding out traditional cooking methods :)

    By Blogger magicwand, at 7:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home